youtube in China

Ron Kikinis
Hi,

I am just back from a visit in China. While visiting there, I was reminded that the great Chinese firewall is blocking all of google. This includes hangouts and youtube. This means that you should consider alternatives if you prepare youtube videos for training. Otherwise you exclude a significant portion of the world’s population. Many academics are using vpn’s to circumvent this blocking, but usually people don’t do this at work.

Best

Ron

--
Ron Kikinis, M.D.,
Robert Greenes Distinguished Director of Biomedical Informatics,

dispose of the e-mail.

Re: youtube in China

andrey.fedorov

Ron, what are the alternatives that were suggested?

---
Sent from my mobile device

On Nov 22, 2015 10:40, "Kikinis, Ron,M.D." <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

dispose of the e-mail.

dispose of the e-mail.

Re: youtube in China

andrey.fedorov
Xiao,

with all due respect, I do not think those alternatives are viable,
considering the interface is Chinese, and I will take a wild guess
that few non-Chinese speaking people use it.

I think real alternatives are the following:

1) in a separate post, we can ask developers/users who contribute
YouTube tutorials to share the video file with you (or designated
Chinese "ambassador" of 3D Slicer) directly, so that person can post
it on the Chinese "Youtube" services;

2) there must be a way to download YouTube videos, that you could
repost, while considering the copyright of the author of the video.

In regards to the original point, it is important to recognize that
many (most?) of the 3D Slicer videos posted on YouTube under 3D Slicer
channel are not coming from 3D Slicer developers or direct Slicer
team. Whoever creates the video chooses the platform that makes sense
for that person, and that is their personal choice that we have no
right or power to regulate.

AF

On Sun, Nov 22, 2015 at 12:19 PM, Xiao Da <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Using Chinese "Youtube":
> http://www.youku.com/
> http://www.tudou.com/
> http://v.qq.com/
> could be good alternatives.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Xiao
>
> On Sun, Nov 22, 2015 at 11:32 AM, Andrey Fedorov <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Ron, what are the alternatives that were suggested?
>>
>> ---
>> Sent from my mobile device
>>
>> On Nov 22, 2015 10:40, "Kikinis, Ron,M.D." <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am just back from a visit in China. While visiting there, I was
>>> reminded that the great Chinese firewall is blocking all of google. This
>>> includes hangouts and youtube. This means that you should consider
>>> alternatives if you prepare youtube videos for training. Otherwise you
>>> exclude a significant portion of the world’s population. Many academics are
>>> using vpn’s to circumvent this blocking, but usually people don’t do this at
>>> work.
>>>
>>> Best
>>>
>>> Ron
>>>
>>> --
>>> Ron Kikinis, M.D.,
>>> Robert Greenes Distinguished Director of Biomedical Informatics,
>>> Professor of Radiology, Harvard Medical School,
>>> Director, Surgical Planning Laboratory
>>> [hidden email]
>>> http://www.spl.harvard.edu/~kikinis

>>> http://www.slicer.org/slicerWiki/index.php/Documentation/Nightly/Developers/FAQ
>>>

>>> The information in this e-mail is intended only for the person to whom it
>>> is
>>> addressed. If you believe this e-mail was sent to you in error and the
>>> e-mail
>>> contains patient information, please contact the Partners Compliance
>>> HelpLine at
>>> http://www.partners.org/complianceline . If the e-mail was sent to you in
>>> error
>>> but does not contain patient information, please contact the sender and
>>> properly
>>> dispose of the e-mail.

>> http://www.slicer.org/slicerWiki/index.php/Documentation/Nightly/Developers/FAQ

>> is
>> e-mail
>> HelpLine at
>> http://www.partners.org/complianceline . If the e-mail was sent to you in
>> error
>> properly
>> dispose of the e-mail.

Re: youtube in China

Halle, Michael Wilfred,Ph.D.
Most video services accessible in the West are blocked.  vimeo may or may not be blocked (wikipedia says is it blocked, but some net monitoring services says it is open).

There are services that allow youtube videos to be downloaded.  HOWEVER, many of the ones I looked at seem to be covered in malware links and popups (savefrom dot net, for example)

I did find one that currently isn’t:
http://www.sachiyari.com/
But I I am not prepared to officially recommend it to anyone.

We should see what solutions to this issue are possible.  As Andrey said, they are limited because of the distributed nature of the developer community.  Self-hosting of video files is thus not a practical option except for core developers, and even then it’s a poor option (no streaming).

To Ron’s quote:
" This means that you should consider alternatives if you prepare youtube videos for training. Otherwise you exclude a significant portion of the world’s population.”

I don’t intend to be political, but the objective fact is that “we” are not doing the excluding.  “We” are all just caught in the geopolitical and cultural crossfire.

—Mike

It was specifically designed to allow