OpenCV in Slicer

andrey.fedorov
Hi,

we are working on a project that requires OpenCV for processing, and
our plan is to make OpenCV available within a specialized extension.
The initial thought is that distributing it as an extension will make
more sense from the maintainability and user experience point of view,
as compared to adding a build option to the trunk. However, I also
think there will be other extensions that will need OpenCV, so it will
be important to be able to share it across extensions.

So the quesiton is whether it is possible to have a "library"
extension that could be defined as a dependency by a "standard" user
level extension? This "library" extension should probably not show up
in the ExtensionManager but be automatically pulled when an extension
is installed. I see that there is boost extension, but it is not clear
if it is working and how/where it is used.

If you have a need for OpenCV, please respond here, or email me and
Nicole directly so we can discuss/coordinate efforts.

AF

dispose of the e-mail.

Re: OpenCV in Slicer

Adam Rankin-2
This would also apply to the cuda library so I am looking forward to this discussion!

Adam

> On Sep 29, 2015, at 10:40 AM, Andrey Fedorov <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> we are working on a project that requires OpenCV for processing, and
> our plan is to make OpenCV available within a specialized extension.
> The initial thought is that distributing it as an extension will make
> more sense from the maintainability and user experience point of view,
> as compared to adding a build option to the trunk. However, I also
> think there will be other extensions that will need OpenCV, so it will
> be important to be able to share it across extensions.
>
> So the quesiton is whether it is possible to have a "library"
> extension that could be defined as a dependency by a "standard" user
> level extension? This "library" extension should probably not show up
> in the ExtensionManager but be automatically pulled when an extension
> is installed. I see that there is boost extension, but it is not clear
> if it is working and how/where it is used.
>
> If you have a need for OpenCV, please respond here, or email me and
> Nicole directly so we can discuss/coordinate efforts.
>
> AF

> http://www.partners.org/complianceline . If the e-mail was sent to you in error
> dispose of the e-mail.

Re: OpenCV in Slicer

lasso2
We'll probably need OpenCV for some projects, too.

It's possible to create an extension that adds OpenCV, other extensions can depend on (so it's automatically installed when needed), and does not show up in the module list. I agree that it is a better approach than adding it to the Slicer core.

Boost used to work a long time ago but its hosting site (gitorious) is dead and also boost is not used by any current extension. We can use the SlicerRT extension as an example instead, as it downloads and builds the Plastimatch library.

Andras

This would also apply to the cuda library so I am looking forward to this discussion!

Adam

> On Sep 29, 2015, at 10:40 AM, Andrey Fedorov <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> we are working on a project that requires OpenCV for processing, and
> our plan is to make OpenCV available within a specialized extension.
> The initial thought is that distributing it as an extension will make
> more sense from the maintainability and user experience point of view,
> as compared to adding a build option to the trunk. However, I also
> think there will be other extensions that will need OpenCV, so it will
> be important to be able to share it across extensions.
>
> So the quesiton is whether it is possible to have a "library"
> extension that could be defined as a dependency by a "standard" user
> level extension? This "library" extension should probably not show up
> in the ExtensionManager but be automatically pulled when an extension
> is installed. I see that there is boost extension, but it is not clear
> if it is working and how/where it is used.
>
> If you have a need for OpenCV, please respond here, or email me and
> Nicole directly so we can discuss/coordinate efforts.
>
> AF
> opers/FAQ
>

> The information in this e-mail is intended only for the person to whom
> it is addressed. If you believe this e-mail was sent to you in error
> and the e-mail contains patient information, please contact the
> Partners Compliance HelpLine at http://www.partners.org/complianceline
> . If the e-mail was sent to you in error but does not contain patient
> information, please contact the sender and properly dispose of the e-mail.

Re: OpenCV in Slicer

pinter
Yes, having a separate Plastimatch extension that SlicerRT can simply depend on has been in the plans for some time, see
https://www.assembla.com/spaces/slicerrt/tickets/383

This suggested effort fits in this picture nicely.

csaba

dispose of the e-mail.

--

Sent from on the go

dispose of the e-mail.

Re: OpenCV in Slicer

Yi Gao-2
Hi Andrey,

We have been using opencv for some 2D processing of pathology images. In that I used itkopencvbridge. I just turn on the ITKopencv bridge after building slicer, points to the local build opencv, and rebuild itk.

Best,
yi

On Tue, Sep 29, 2015 at 10:40 AM, Andrey Fedorov <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

dispose of the e-mail.

Re: OpenCV in Slicer

lasso2

Integrating OpenCV through ITK’s OpenCV bridge is an interesting option but it would add dependency on a huge library (OpenCV source source code is about 1.5x larger than entire Slicer; OpenCV binaries are about 100MB, Python wrapping is about 30MB - on Windows, v3.0.0 binary package).

Do you know which OpenCV modules would you need?

Would you need GPU acceleration?

Would you need Intel IPP/TBB?

Would you need video capturing?

Andras

dispose of the e-mail.

Re: OpenCV in Slicer

andrey.fedorov
Yi, please let us know what modules you would need (Andras, we are
working with Yi to provide this integration for their group).

I wonder if it would be possible to have the extension provide both
ITK OpenCV bridge and OpenCV libraries as add-on to the Slicer ITK
libraries? I would prefer not to build OpenCV into Slicer package.

On Wed, Sep 30, 2015 at 3:22 PM, Andras Lasso <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Integrating OpenCV through ITK’s OpenCV bridge is an interesting option but
> it would add dependency on a huge library (OpenCV source source code is
> about 1.5x larger than entire Slicer; OpenCV binaries are about 100MB,
> Python wrapping is about 30MB - on Windows, v3.0.0 binary package).
>

> Do you know which OpenCV modules would you need?
>
> Would you need GPU acceleration?
>
> Would you need Intel IPP/TBB?
>
> Would you need video capturing?
>

> Andras

Re: OpenCV in Slicer

lasso2
I agree, adding OpenCV to the main Slicer package would be bad for many reasons.

ITK's OpenCV bridge consists of just a few files (to convert between ITK and OpenCV image and an interface for video capture). It should be no problem to build them along with OpenCV if we need them (if ITK does not support adding more modules after ITK build is completed then we can create a small CMake file to build these few files into a library).

Andras

Yi, please let us know what modules you would need (Andras, we are working with Yi to provide this integration for their group).

I wonder if it would be possible to have the extension provide both ITK OpenCV bridge and OpenCV libraries as add-on to the Slicer ITK libraries? I would prefer not to build OpenCV into Slicer package.

On Wed, Sep 30, 2015 at 3:22 PM, Andras Lasso <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Integrating OpenCV through ITK’s OpenCV bridge is an interesting
> option but it would add dependency on a huge library (OpenCV source
> source code is about 1.5x larger than entire Slicer; OpenCV binaries
> are about 100MB, Python wrapping is about 30MB - on Windows, v3.0.0 binary package).
>

> Do you know which OpenCV modules would you need?
>
> Would you need GPU acceleration?
>
> Would you need Intel IPP/TBB?
>
> Would you need video capturing?
>

> Andras

Re: OpenCV in Slicer

Matt McCormick
Hi,

I recently added support to build external modules outside of the ITK
source tree.  The intention is that Slicer extensions can use modules
that are not yet in Slicer's ITK, are newer than Slicer's ITK, or are
not enabled in Slicer's ITK.  It should be possible to use this for
the OpenCV bridge module inside ITK, too :-)

Matt

On Wed, Sep 30, 2015 at 4:33 PM, Andras Lasso <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I agree, adding OpenCV to the main Slicer package would be bad for many reasons.
>
> ITK's OpenCV bridge consists of just a few files (to convert between ITK and OpenCV image and an interface for video capture). It should be no problem to build them along with OpenCV if we need them (if ITK does not support adding more modules after ITK build is completed then we can create a small CMake file to build these few files into a library).
>
> Andras

Re: OpenCV in Slicer

andrey.fedorov

we had a focused meeting on this topic among developers today.

The agreement was to work on an implementation that would build an
extension SlicerOpenCV that encapsulates OpenCV libraries, and
provides configuration/testing modules for the developers, but no
end-user functionality.

Extensions that need OpenCV would declare SlicerOpenCV as a
dependency, which would automatically fetch the extension on install
from the Extension Manager, or initialize all necessary paths to the
libraries for building a dependent module. This extension will also
build ITK OpenCVBridge module to facilitate integration with ITK-based
applications.

Other options discussed were:

- installation of OpenCV from binary package (discarded due to
incompatibility of the compilers used for OpenCV and Slicer packaged
builds on Windows)
- reuse of the Anaconda (discarded due to the present lack of
integration of anaconda (in progress), and the fact that pyopencv is
not a standard python package)
- superbuild of OpenCV within an extension providing user-level
functionality (discarded since this would not allow the reuse of
OpenCV libraries across extensions, and we see several potential
users, not just one extension)

We also had some unresolved questions to the future users of OpenCV in
Slicer (Yi, Sarthak, and others interested - can you please respond to
the thread, or to me directly?)

1) what are the specific packages of interest that you would like to
see in the distribution?
2) do you depend in your work on the platform specific optimized
libraries, such as Intel computational libraries, CUDA support?

We will keep you posted about the progress, and should aim to maintain
this dedicated Labs page [1] to track the development.

AF

[1] http://wiki.slicer.org/slicerWiki/index.php/Documentation/Labs/OpenCV

On Wed, Sep 30, 2015 at 10:17 PM, Matt McCormick
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I recently added support to build external modules outside of the ITK
> source tree.  The intention is that Slicer extensions can use modules
> that are not yet in Slicer's ITK, are newer than Slicer's ITK, or are
> not enabled in Slicer's ITK.  It should be possible to use this for
> the OpenCV bridge module inside ITK, too :-)
>
> Matt
>
> On Wed, Sep 30, 2015 at 4:33 PM, Andras Lasso <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I agree, adding OpenCV to the main Slicer package would be bad for many reasons.
>>
>> ITK's OpenCV bridge consists of just a few files (to convert between ITK and OpenCV image and an interface for video capture). It should be no problem to build them along with OpenCV if we need them (if ITK does not support adding more modules after ITK build is completed then we can create a small CMake file to build these few files into a library).
>>
>> Andras

Re: OpenCV in Slicer

Steve Pieper-2
Thanks Andrey - that's an excellent summary.

I'm thinking now we might consider building pyopencv as part of the SlicerOpenCV extension if there it doesn't add too much complexity but could be useful for people.

-Steve

Hi,

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I recently added support to build external modules outside of the ITK
> source tree.  The intention is that Slicer extensions can use modules
> that are not yet in Slicer's ITK, are newer than Slicer's ITK, or are
> not enabled in Slicer's ITK.  It should be possible to use this for
> the OpenCV bridge module inside ITK, too :-)
>
> Matt
>
> On Wed, Sep 30, 2015 at 4:33 PM, Andras Lasso <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I agree, adding OpenCV to the main Slicer package would be bad for many reasons.
>>
>> ITK's OpenCV bridge consists of just a few files (to convert between ITK and OpenCV image and an interface for video capture). It should be no problem to build them along with OpenCV if we need them (if ITK does not support adding more modules after ITK build is completed then we can create a small CMake file to build these few files into a library).
>>
>> Andras

dispose of the e-mail.

Re: OpenCV in Slicer

andrey.fedorov
Steve - I agree, good point - I added to the labs page. We should
definitely consider this once C++/ITK integration is done.