How to solve wget error - certificate common name `*.c.ssl.fastly.net' doesn't match requested host name `pypi.python.org'

How to solve wget error - certificate common name `*.c.ssl.fastly.net' doesn't match requested host name `pypi.python.org'

Jean-Christophe Fillion-Robin
Hi Folks,

For quite some time, the nightly builds on Ubuntu have been failing [1] with the following error:

----------8<----------8<----------8<----------8<----------8<----------8<----------8<----------8<----------8<
Downloading  https://pypi.python.org/packages/source/s/setuptools/setuptools-2.2.tar.gz
[...]
ERROR: certificate common name `*.c.ssl.fastly.net' doesn't match requested host name `pypi.python.org'.
[...]
----------8<----------8<----------8<----------8<----------8<----------8<----------8<----------8<----------8<

The solution is to build or install a recent version of wget.

Details:

As a short term solution, if you experience a similar issue, it is possible to use the "--no-check-certificate" option to workaround the associated wget issue. See [2][3].

That said, generally speaking a more appropriate solution is to either

   (1) upgrade the version of wget using your favorite package manager

 or

   (2) build and install from source a recent version.

In our case since the invocation of wget was in some python script and the version of Ubuntu on the factory is not supported any more, (waiting we upgrade it), we went with option (2) and built a recent version of wget from source:

----------8<----------8<----------8<----------8<----------8<----------8<----------8<----------8<----------8<
cd ~/Dashboards/Support
tar -xzvf wget-1.15.tar.gz
./configure --with-ssl=openssl
make -j5
sudo make install
----------8<----------8<----------8<----------8<----------8<----------8<----------8<----------8<----------8<

Then,  typing "which wget", the displayed location is /usr/local

----------8<----------8<----------8<----------8<----------8<----------8<----------8<----------8<----------8<
$ which wget
/usr/local/bin/wget
----------8<----------8<----------8<----------8<----------8<----------8<----------8<----------8<----------8<

.. and download works as expected:

----------8<----------8<----------8<----------8<----------8<----------8<----------8<----------8<----------8<
$ wget https://pypi.python.org/packages/source/s/setuptools/setuptools-2.2.tar.gz
--2014-04-28 22:55:40--  https://pypi.python.org/packages/source/s/setuptools/setuptools-2.2.tar.gz
Resolving pypi.python.org (pypi.python.org)... 199.27.73.175
Connecting to pypi.python.org (pypi.python.org)|199.27.73.175|:443... connected.
Length: 786831 (768K) [application/octet-stream]
Saving to: ‘setuptools-2.2.tar.gz’

100%[==========================================================================================================>] 786,831     2.25MB/s   in 0.3s

2014-04-28 22:55:41 (2.25 MB/s) - ‘setuptools-2.2.tar.gz’ saved [786831/786831]
----------8<----------8<----------8<----------8<----------8<----------8<----------8<----------8<----------8<

Hth
Jc

--
+1 919 869 8849

dispose of the e-mail.

Re: How to solve wget error - certificate common name `*.c.ssl.fastly.net' doesn't match requested host name `pypi.python.org'

Lowekamp, Bradley (NIH/NLM/LHC) [C]
Hello,

This is the first time I have seen that this error mentioned related to setuptools-2.2. This seem quite obvious related to SimpleITK form the dashboard errors. Sorry I didn't notice sooner.

Setuptools 2.2 has been set as a required installation/build tool for SimpleITK[1][2]. This standard ez_setup.py does support the following download tools PowerShell(Windows), curl, wget and "insecure"[3]. All our Ubuntu systems 10.04,12.04,13.04 worked OK with this. I did have problems with Redhat 5 however. I ended up upgrading the wget for that system (which is near end of life)

I don't recommend this but you could add "check_certificate=off" to "~/.wgetrc" just for the build to get around this issue.

There are other possible work arounds that could be done. We can discuss these at the next developers TCON.

Brad

dispose of the e-mail.

Re: How to solve wget error - certificate common name `*.c.ssl.fastly.net' doesn't match requested host name `pypi.python.org'

Jean-Christophe Fillion-Robin
Hi Brad,

Thanks for the follow up.

Not SimpleITK fault :) .. I just add to do the maintenance work associated with the factory. In that case, it was to build the latest version of wget.

Jc

dispose of the e-mail.

Re: How to solve wget error - certificate common name `*.c.ssl.fastly.net' doesn't match requested host name `pypi.python.org'

pinter

Hi JC,

Thanks a lot for the instructions!

I get the following error when doing the configure:

"—with-ssl=openssl was given, but SSL is not available"

I checked and I have the openssl package installed. Didn't find anything useful with a google search either.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

csaba

dispose of the e-mail.

Re: How to solve wget error - certificate common name `*.c.ssl.fastly.net' doesn't match requested host name `pypi.python.org'

pinter

FYI I installed libssl-dev and it solved the problem.

dispose of the e-mail.

Re: How to solve wget error - certificate common name `*.c.ssl.fastly.net' doesn't match requested host name `pypi.python.org'

pinter

I added a note on the build Slicer wiki page about this issue:

http://www.slicer.org/slicerWiki/index.php/Documentation/Nightly/Developers/Build_Instructions/Compile#BUILD_Slicer

Please check and change if it's inadequate.

csaba